Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Getting excited about finishing college!

As I am getting closer to the end of my college career I am excited about the future. I am working on my teaching philosophy and I begin to worry. I know my heart is in the right place and I want to help children feel valued and encouraged to continue learning. I also feel very apprehensive. Am I going to convey this idea of my sufficiently? Are the schools who are going to look at my philosophy like what they see? Will they think of me as a dreamer? Someone who does not understand the limitations that teachers have. I am also worried as I look at my resume and see so much time in college and so many job positions held. You are supposed to list everything you have done in the past 15 years. I can see that a normal college grad will have very few jobs and a simple history of education. As I look at mine I have quite a few places I've been over the last 15 years. I moved to Sioux Center, then to Boyden, back to Sioux Center, and three of the places I have worked have closed down. That's only my work history! My education history includes four colleges and seven years later I am still not finished. Will it look like I'm lazy? Will they think I'm not knowledgeable? In reality I had worked many hour plus attended school. I've had two of my own children. My oldest has had many problems with school in which I have been working with him on. I have a lot of things that have made my days busy. Does that mean I didn't work as hard as the younger graduate that breezed through school? Are the administrators going to understand that? Or will they even care?I know children and I understand how a parent feels when they believe the teacher is not being helpful. I have first hand experience working with teachers, doctors, and therapists. But none of this will be conveyed when they look at my resume. What they will see is that it took me twice as long to complete college as the normal student. And that I have hopped around quite a lot. It is quite nerve wrecking.

No comments:

Post a Comment